Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Philadelphia

Well when one thinks Philadelphia in the gastronomical world, there is only one food that comes to mind and that is the Cheesesteak. There are two competing franchises in the battle of this legendary food, Pat's and Geno's.




These two landmarks of Philadelphia dominate the Cheesesteak scene. A third, Tony Luke's has tried to enter this battle with recent appearances on various Food Network shows and having a location at Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Ballpark. However, these two places are the Cheesesteak. Is one better than the other? I don't know. Ill tell you this, my experience with Pat's was pure bliss.
A few years back I was visiting my friend at UPenn. This led to a drunken night of fun and well pizza just was not going to cut it that night. We needed more, we needed the Cheesesteak baby. So we hopped in a cab, went to Pat's, practiced our jargon and ordered. I chose the classic Wiz Wit. That is cheese whiz with onions. The best combo in mind. The wit' is a local philly phrase meaning WITH. They think they are tough or something to pronounce it that way. Either way the steak is best with onions so go with the wit. But I digress. Back to the experience at Pat's. We had arrived in a cab and were faced with the dilemma of whether to eat there and wait for another cab or risk our food getting cold and taking the cab back. But then...our cabbie from heaven told us we could eat in the car. He must have wanted to the business since we were on the opposite end of town, but I think it was just an act of God. This was the best drunk food I have ever eaten in America....and second best of all time...maybe a special abroad post on this another time.

Since that magical night I have had other Cheesesteaks in Philly at various locations, but none compare to that night. I have flirted with the other cheeses; provolone and American, but they don't compare to the Whiz. So when in Philly, I suggest to fight the initial recoil and go for the Whiz Wit'.

No comments:

Post a Comment